Saturday, January 19, 2013

Eclipse color themes

When someone spends a lot of time writing code in his/her favourite IDE it's  rather important to correctly configure IDE's color theme to reduce eye strain. I've italicized the word 'correctly' because its meaning is a personal matter.
I like dark themes, but among many dark themes on Eclipse Color Theme I did not find any what would I like, so I decided to create own. There is a good eclipse plugin which provides themes from Eclipse Color Themes. Here is its update site.As a base for my theme I have chosen Inkpot.
So here are some examples of my work:
    java code style

    xml code style
    css code style
    After creating my theme I want it to use in any computer that i work on. Here is a solution how to transfer your color settings:

    1. go to your eclipse workspace directory
    2. then copy directory .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings to your cloud drive like dropbox, google drive or whatever you use
    That directory contains color settings for all eclipse editors and also color settings of installed plugins.
    You can use standard eclipse functionality to copy preferences(Import/Export Preferences), but there is some pitfall: it doesn't copy color settings, only code formatting, hot keys, compiler settings etc.

    Here you can download my color theme

    No comments:

    Post a Comment